Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Super Tuesday

Even though I may not be the most informed citizen (my fault entirely), I feel that since it is my privelege to vote, vote I shall. I registered to vote in New Mexico at the State Fair in 2006.

My first opportunity to vote was an election that fall. I armed myself with a map (Google or Yahoo, I can't remember now) to my stated polling place. However, I neglected to make a dry run in the daylight. Rio Rancho has a LOT of open land not yet built on. For the time of year, it was full dark by the time I got home and left again to try to find this place. However, the street I was supposed to make a left turn off of has very few street lights so that I could not see where I was to make my turn. So I gave up and returned home, disappointed and not a little bit anxious (driving in the dark to a place I did not know).

This week, I re-verified where I was to go. This time the address brought up the left turn to be at a light off the same dark street. Yay. And this time of year there is a small amount of light left by the time I get home. Double yay. So, I got there, and parked the car. Then I proceeded to walk what seemed like half-way around the high school building to get into a line. I could see that the line snaked up and down the corridor I was in. What I could not see was that the line also snaked around inside the orchestra/choir room and the band room. At least those -- who knows how many more rooms and miles of corridor there might have been. All of this it to say that while I did give it a good shot (I waited in line at least 30 minutes), I decided to give up and go home. My decision was helped along by the man who was in the part of the line about to leave the band room when I was just entering it who said it took him more than an hour to traverse the room. Ack.

I will try again in November.

No comments: